Senior Software Engineer
Urbint engineering is building a cutting-edge data ingestion and machine learning pipeline for exposing the hidden intelligence within urban data. We are a team of close-knit, talented engineers who obsess over problem solving, code quality and workflow.
Engineering Culture at Urbint
We're looking for engineers who strive for a harder challenge.
- Code is cheap. Rewrite frequently - We pride ourselves on deleting code. By keeping our modules focused, we iterate quickly and keep internal API quality top-of-mind.
- API designs are a first-class citizen - We believe in keeping our internal modules as well-kept as our open-source libraries. Code is reviewed continuously and the discussion encouraged.
- Web apps are CRUD. - The greatest minds of our generation are building web-variants of excel spreadsheets. Processing data at scale requires an understanding of the material science of code and data that is often amiss in today's web apps.
- Engineering drives our company - Urbint is first and foremost a technology company. This means that the business works with engineering, not against it.
- We are polyglot and full-stack - We believe that engineers solve problems, not syntax. Reaching for the right tool is both encouraged and expected.
Our Stack and Technologies
We believe that writing code should be consistently delightful.
- Haskell - We use functional programming paired with Haskell's expressive type system to build distributed, concurrent, performant and safe systems.
- Rust - For performance-critical moments we leverage Rust's cost-free abstractions and powerful type safety to ensure performance without sacrificing reliability.
- Elm - Strong types and quick compile times make developing and maintaining our front-ends easy.
- Elixir, Erlang, Node, Golang, Python - As mentioned, we are polyglot. These languages have had cameos in our code base.
- 5+ years of full-stack experience.
- Passion for engineering, problem solving, and perfecting your craft.
- Experience with functional programming.
- Exposure to data structures, algorithms, and performance tuning.
- Ability to articulate and persuade team members.
- Familiarity and preference for CLI tools.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Appreciation for test coverage, linting, code quality, and detailed PR reviews.
- Preference for functional programming.
- Opinionated but open to reason.
- Experience with distributed systems and concurrency.
- Full Benefits - Urbint covers 100% of medical and dental insurance costs.
- Prime SoHo Location - Our office is just minutes away from the ACE, NQRW and 456 subway lines in the Historic SoHo district of NYC.
- Coffee and Snacks - We enjoy a quality cup of joe and brew our own several times daily. We also keep our fridge stocked with snacks.
- Engineering Starter Pack - All engineers get a starting kit containing any or all of the following: Gunner glasses, noise cancelling headphones, 4K monitor, mechanical keyboard (MX browns or reds), standing desk with mat and luxafor light.
- Outings and Happy Hours - Join the team for social outings.
- Wild Card Fridays - When we're on schedule with our sprint we work on whatever internal project we want, including tooling, workflow, refactors, etc. Anything goes.